Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bridge into the Fog


Bridge into the Fog
Originally uploaded by pdxsafariguy
February 20th, 2011

3-WAY TIE FOR FIRST PLACE

Congrats on your win in the weekly photo contest with this stunning photo Tom :-)

Photographers notes:
Here's the second of a few from yesterday's rather productive morning on the Northern Oregon Coast. I specifically chose Astoria as my destination for the morning after reading the forecast calling for overcast and patchy fog along the coast. After Aaron's workshop at the coast, it became apparent to me that these conditions are actually good days for photographing our coastal areas. The alternative destinaton for my morning would have been Mount Hood, but overcast and mountains don't work so well.

A 64x ND filter plus a polarizer were used to drive up the exposure time to >10 sec for the the misty look to the water amongst the pilings, complementing the fog in the distance. No editing was done to this other than resizing and adding the watermark. Below you will find a link to the black and white version of this same shot. I think it is a very strong shot for black & white and was tempted to post it as b&w instead. But I'll leave both here for you to look at. My intention for the morning was actually to shoot some black and white.