Sunday, May 22, 2011

Beam Me Up

Beam Me Up by Kenny Maths
Beam Me Up, a photo by Kenny Maths on Flickr.

May 15, 2011

THIRD PLACE

Congrats on being voted 3rd place in the weekly photo contests with this superb photo Kenny.


Via Flickr:
While I'm probably more of a 'people' photographer than anything else, I do have a fondness for architectural shots as well. :-)

This is the magnificent spiral staircase at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, of which I've posted a number of other photographs, which you can see here:

Usher Hall Spiral Staircase

I took this after the end of Madeleine Peyroux's concert last night. In most shots I've taken of this, the 'eye' at the top is blindingly white (because it's daylight outside), but the light is more balanced when it is dark outside.

Having said that, most of my shots of this staircase have tended to be a labour of love, involving multiple processing of the same RAW file, as well as numerous adjustment layers, combined with layer masking...and this one is no exception.

However, it a magnificent piece of architecture and well worth the undignified position I found myself in while I was taking this shot. Hey, you have to suffer for your art, even if it's only some mild ridicule from passers-by. :-)