Sunday, May 01, 2011

Saline Sunrise

Saline Sunrise by pdxsafariguy
Saline Sunrise, a photo by pdxsafariguy on Flickr.

April 25th, 2011

THIRD PLACE

Congrats on being voted 3rd place in the weekly photo contest with this stunning photo Tom, WOW!

Via Flickr:
We were fortunate enough to have an epic sunrise on our four-day photographic expedition to Death Valley. A huge thanks goes to Jim for providing me with necessary information on locating some salt patterns. The main visitor's area in the Badwater basin sometimes floods in the winter months and dissolves all of the patterns. They are only starting to regenerate, a process which will take many months. Typically the best time of year to see these formations is in the autumn.

A 3-stop Singh-Ray hard GND was used for this one. Even with 3 stops, I almost blew out the red channel in the sky. My new Singh-Ray filters performed admirably on this trip and I have now retired my entire collection of Cokin filters.

In case you are wondering how these form, I found this article offering some wisdom on the subject: findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_7_110/ai_78334669/

This is a copyrighted image with all rights reserved. Please don't use
this image on websites, blogs, facebook, or other media without my
explicit permission.

© Tom Schwabel, All rights reserved